Monthly Theme: Reasoning
Twitter: follow us @wcdsbStPaul to get the latest news and celebrate our #PantherPride!
“Too often we give children answers to remember rather than problems to solve.” – Roger Lewin
A huge thank you to all the parents and families who supported the school’s Dance-a-thon fundraiser by volunteering their time, donating prizes and cakes/ cupcakes for the Raffles, and by pledging students for the dance! We had an amazing day with lots of fun! Over 100 prizes were awarded to students through the raffles!
We will announce the winners of the ‘big school’ and class prizes on Friday, February 16th.
Once again, I must remind parents/ guardians regarding safe driving in the parking lot. Earlier this week we had a near miss in which a child was almost hit by a car. Please following the following expectations regarding the parking lot – if we are not able to ensure the safety of our students we will have no choice but to close the parking lot to parents/ guardians:
- The speed limit in the parking lot is 5 km/hr
- Park only in designated parking spots – DO NOT Park in front of the garbage bins or in the Maintenance, Child Care or designated handicapped spaces (unless you have a sticker and a person in the car requires support in walking into the school)
- The area in front of the portables and Soccer Field is a NO PARKING zone for everyone, at all times during the day – and is to be used to drop off students and pick them up – drivers are not to leave their cars or be there for more than 2-3 minutes
- If there are no parking spaces available, you will need to park on the street
- Please ensure that snow is cleared off windows, roofs, etc. so you have maximum visibility
SHROVE TUESDAY/ ASH WEDNESDAY/ VALENTINE’S DAY:
This year Valentine’s day happens to be the same day as Ash Wednesday. We will be having our Ash Wednesday Mass here at the school this year.
While Ash Wednesday is not a day of Obligation in the Catholic Church, all Catholics over the age of 14 are expected to fast on this day. It is also the first day of Lent and many students and families do practice various forms of abstinence from sweets, junk food etc., during this time.
As a result, we will be ‘celebrating’ Valentine’s day on Feb 13th to respect the solemnity of Ash Wednesday. Individual teachers will communicate with students and families regarding how they may be celebrating the day. In connection with this – we will not be having a school wide Pancake breakfast on Shrove Tuesday this year. We look forward to returning to this tradition next year.
WINTER WEATHER REMINDERS
When we experience wintry weather throughout the year families often have many questions. Considering this we are informing the community of the policy that is followed when deciding to keep students indoors during winter. Students will remain inside when temperatures, including wind chill, are at or below minus 20°C. Otherwise, all students will go outside for recesses and lunches. Students must dress for the weather and be prepared to be outside before school, during the two 15-minute recess and the 40-minute lunch break. Please consider sending a change of clothes for your son or daughter in case their clothes get wet during recesses.
Remember – Children who are too ill to go outside for recesses should be resting at home
JK/SK REGISTRATION – FEBRUARY 20 – 23, 2018
Attention All Parents of New JK & SK Students! Registration for junior kindergarten (children born in 2014) and new senior kindergarten students (children who have NOT attended JK but were born in 2013) for September 2018 will take place during the week of February 20 – 23, 2018. Please make sure that you have the following documents with you:
- Birth Certificate
- Baptismal Certificate
- Proof of Address (ie. Utility Bill or Driver’s License)
Registration and all other required forms are available on our Board Website (www.wcdsb.ca) under “Register For School”. If you’d like to get a head start, you can print them off and complete them prior to your visit to the school or we will also have the forms available at our office. We look forward to seeing you in February! If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the main office at 519-743-4401
If you already have a child at St Paul, please call the Office and we will send home a Registration package for you.
SCHOOL FOCUS – The 2018 Winter Olympics
Now that the Olympics have begun this is a great opportunity to practice literacy and numeracy skills while cheering on Canada and spending time together as a family. Use all of some of the suggestions below to help your child improve on reading, writing and math skills:
- Follow the Olympics while improving literacy Skills through the following interactive pages: PYEONGCHANG 2018 Olympics
Gold Medal Graph
- Keep track of the number of medals different countries win. Have your child create a graph using chart paper and cleaned, recycled yogurt lids to represent the medals. Invite your child to count the number of total medals daily, and together write an addition equation to represent the new total. For example, seven old medals plus two new medals equals nine medals.
Tech twist: Use an interactive whiteboard or software program to create the graph. Include digital photos of the winners.
Feb 13 – Shrove Tuesday/ Valentine’s Day celebrations in classes
Feb 14 – Ash Wednesday – Mass in the School Gym
Feb 15 – Term 1 Reports Go home
Feb 19 – Family Day – no school
Feb 20 – JK Registration begins
Feb 26 – Siblings, SK and Gr 8 grad photos
Feb 26 – March 2 – FITGO Week (more details to follow)
March 12 – 16 – March Break
March 30 – Good Friday – no school
April 2 – Easter Monday – no school
Here’s what is happening at St Paul CES this Week:
- Last day to order Pizza (only through Cash online)
- Roots of Empathy Program in Mrs. Esmaili’s class
- Ash Wednesday – Mass in the gym at 9:30
- Spirit Wear Day – Wear your School Spirit Wear!
- Pizza Wednesday
- Coding workshop for the Mrs. Esmaili’s class in the afternoon
- Report Cards go home
- Kitchener-Waterloo Art Gallery Visit to the Grade 3/4 classes